My mother always managed to make our Christmases magical. It started with crafting hand painted ornaments or building them from clothespins with scraps of fabric and sundries from her sewing room.
We always visited the local tree lot to select the perfect “fresh” cut evergreen tree. We would adorn that tree with the ornaments we’d made at home and school as well as the store bought and inherited treasures. Each branch of our perfectly lit tree would be finished with exactly three of evenly hung pieces of tinsel. No balling it up into a frizzy mess and tossing it on at our house.
Ideas for Free or Cheap Gifts
- Make a photo album
- Frame a picture you made or a photo you took
- Make a Mixed CD/[/playlist to share
- Regift something you no longer need like jewelry, a pretty scarf, an heirloom cast iron pan or knife
- Offer your services like babysitting, cleaning, painting, etc...
- Gifts of food like granola, spiced nuts, soups mixes, baked goods, etc...
- A box/book of your favorite recipes
- A day out to a museum, park or another free place
- A homemade meal
- A handmade gift, not a wax wreath with seashells, but something you sewed, knitted, sculpted, painted, etc….