Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Adoption Myth VI: “You’ll have a Healthier Body if You Adopt”

By: Elizabeth Redhead Kriston

After my second daughter came home, my husband ran into a neighbor who congratulated us on our new baby. She followed this up with a comment on how good I looked for just having a baby. When Jim told her we adopted, she insisted that I must have given birth.

I saw this neighbor everyday as I passed her house on my daily walk. I was perplexed as to how she could think I had given birth to our six month old baby until I took a good look at myself. I realized that my belly had grown immensely with my stress eating. It looked as if I had just had a baby and was getting ready to have another one soon.

Stages of a Belly in Pregnancy

Once adoption became a reality, I relished in the fact that I would not have to experience all the discomforts and illnesses that pregnancy brings to so many expectant moms. Boy was I wrong! Of course every pregnant woman knows to expect an array of possible health related issues that she may or may not encounter as she grows a baby in her womb. These might include:

1. Nausea
2. Backpain
3. Fatigue
4. High blood pressure
5. Gestational diabetes
6. Hemorrhoids
7. Incontinence
8. Heartburn
9. Stretch marks

The list goes on to include even more serious conditions that could disappear after giving birth, or become a lifetime battle. However, nobody really prepares the adoptive mother for the fact that she too can and will experience health issues.



With the adoption process came overwhelming stress. The amount of stress cannot be quantified or even aptly described. At times I felt like I was drowning in stress. There are so many reasons why adoption is stressful. Just a few include:

1.    Uncertainty of being matched.

      2.    Loss of control over your life.
      3.    Questioning of your self-worth.
      4.    Worrying about completing the adoption process.
      5.    Second guessing your decision to adopt.
      6.    Worrying about finances.
      7.    High expectations of the adoption.
      8.    Excitement and anticipation of meeting your baby.
      9.    Mourning the idea of having a biological baby.
      10.  Believing the myths perpetuated by the media.

A pregnant woman knows with fair certainty of what to expect, when to expect it, and how to prepare. Parenthood through adoption does not come with that type of predictability. Yes, things can go awry with pregnancy, but the average pregnancy has a charted course with which we are all familiar. Adoption is a wild ride and never the same twice.

 What to Expect When Expecting
A Great Resource

The stress associated with the adoption of my first daughter went more unnoticed because it was fast and exciting. The stress associated with the adoption of my second daughter was intense. The agency we worked with, though not intentionally, put us through the ringer with false promises and misleading information. It was torturous.

In fact, my husband and I had decided that the waiting and uncertainty was more than we could handle after nearly a year of being teased. One night we made a pact; if the adoption agency did not call within forty eight hours with a match we would walk away and be a one child family. They called twelve hours later with the news that we would be considered for another baby.

By the time our baby came home, I was already overwhelmed with stress. The special challenges she brought with her put me over the top. My mild sleep disorder evolved into debilitating insomnia. My general feeling of nausea exacerbated and hospitalized me. I became fully gluten intolerant. My fluctuating weight from stress eating caused stretch marks. Carrying a six month old baby without the benefit of gradually becoming stronger as the baby grew, first in my womb and then in my arms, caused muscle strains and back pain. Before I knew it my list of ailments grew and looked very similar to the list of health concerns of the average pregnant woman



I will never claim to know what a woman feels and experiences as she goes through all the stages of pregnancy. I will never forget how my well-meaning neighbor inadvertently reminded me of my need to take better care of myself. I will never claim that the stress related health issues diminish with time. In fact, my lovely second daughter reminded me of this when she, now eleven, asked me if I was pregnant. Ugh, I see salads and Pilates in my future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment