Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Making Breakfast with Robin Roberts

By: Elizabeth Redhead Kriston



Years ago, I suffered through my morning routine groggy and lonely until I discovered morning television!

Back then, the Today Show with its peppy co-hosts Matt Lauer and Katie Couric were my go to breakfast buds. The Today Show’s opening jingle was always perfectly timed with the whistle of my teapot. I poured the hot water over the fresh ground coffee piled high in my
Melitta as Matt and Katie introduced themselves, “Good morning, I’m Matt Lauer, and I’m Katie Couric…”


Listening to their soothing voices deliver all kinds of bad news made the carefully choreographed routine of preparing breakfasts for my family smooth and easy.
While the coffee dripped and Matt and Katie had some light banter on easy news days (or spoke in professional concerned tones on hard news days), I prepped my daily smoothie with banana, OJ, frozen blueberries, Greek yogurt, and milled flax seeds.

By the time the smoothie was prepared, the coffee was ready for me to add honey and cinnamon to the aromatic dark roasted elixir which I topped it off with milk. Matt and Katie continued to read the Teleprompters informing me of all the bad things happening in New York (and sometimes even other places). 



As my family entered the kitchen with the pep and verve of a slumber of sloths, I would turn to making my girls’ breakfast. Much to their consternation (because “everybody else gets to eat donuts and Coco Puffs for breakfast”) I made them a” healthy” breakfast. I piled their plates high with fresh fruit, raw almonds, and a whole wheat mini-bagel. I spent countless hours extolling the virtues of protein to my churlish children.

This was our routine for years up until the great Ann Curry debacle of 2012. After that, I could not look Matt Lauer in the eye even through my mini flat screen TV that sits on my kitchen counter.

To fill my morning “news” jones, I switched networks. I tried the CBS morning show, but the anchors were a bit lack luster for me. I needed the pep and good humor of a Katie Couric or even a Meredith Vieira. Feeling a bit dirty, I tuned into GMA, the Today Show’s show biggest competitor.



It took some adjusting, but eventually, I grew to love Robin Roberts and George Steph-a something-ness. Even the rotating cast of co-anchors got my attention and earned my admiration, except for Michael Strahan. I like him, but he appears both uncomfortable and annoyed to be there. Not to mention the weird negativity I sense between him and Amy Robach.

Along with the change in shows, my breakfasts changed some too. I had to learn to eat gluten free. I mastered cooking and eating GF oatmeal which I simmered slowly while I made plates for my girls still pushing the protein and fresh fruit. I topped my oatmeal with almond milk, cinnamon, honey, and walnuts.

Buy Here

Other ingredient changes occurred like switching the OJ to coconut water in my smoothie improved health benefits. My flax seeds also have chia seeds to keep on trend with super foods. My fair trade, organic coffee is locally roasted whenever possible. It steeps in a French press pot no longer dripping from a Melitta. My blueberries are from my own garden or the farmers market.

Benefits of Coconut Water

As we attend to breakfast, on GMA, Ginger Zee’s weather forecast marks the transition from real news to fluff news. My oatmeal is ready to eat. Ah, fluff news, it makes eating oatmeal seem so much more decadent.

By the time Robin throws it to the local news, the plates are cleared and the girls are off to school. We are ready for the day with full bellies and just enough information to keep us up to date on the big news stories, and disturbingly, what the Kardashians are up to.




No comments:

Post a Comment