Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Broadway is The Only Way


By: Elizabeth Redhead Kriston

The last time I was in NYC I was practically a little girl. At seventeen I was scared and overwhelmed by the big city. I was at the mercy of my host, my boyfriend's older brother whom I had never met. He worked on Wall Street and lived in an apartment he shared with four others. The whole experience was weird and uncomfortable. I felt out of place and unwelcome. 

I do, however, remember being awed by the city as I walked behind my lousy boyfriend and his buddy (whom he met up with) while they traversed the city for hours through the night, sipping beers from cans in brown paper bags, reminiscing, and ignoring me. My feet ached and I was seething with resentment, but I took in all the buildings and brownstones. The sounds, sights, and smells of the city that bustled even in the middle of the night, made the experience bearable.

The next day, we walked through central park. I was mesmerized by its beauty. However, the first night was the most memorable. After thwarting a would be purse snatcher at a fast food chain, we went to the apartment where we were staying, and waited for our host to return from work. He rushed in, said "hello," and then pushed us out the door. Once outside, we jumped into a cab (my first ever cab ride) and we were whisked to a fancy restaurant for dinner. Following the unmemorable dinner, we we arrived on Broadway for a show.



The show that night was called Chess. Though it was excruciatingly long and boring, I knew I would come back someday and see a great show. I kept my promise to myself this past weekend.

When I planned my trip to NYC with my girls, I had four goals.  First, to support my daughter in her 5k race. Second, to eat delicious food and pastries. Third, to visit the holiday windows at the department stores on 5th avenue. Fourth, to see an amazing Broadway show. I can check all of those off of my list.

Though I was once again overwhelmed by the largess of the city and scared by all the unknowns, I was determined to have a great time and fulfill my goals.The best food was at a french gluten free bakery called NoGlu on Madison Ave. and at Rosemary's in the West Village. The race was in the Bronx at Van Cortlandt park on a beautiful sunny day. The best Holiday windows were at Saks 5th Avenue, and they did not disappoint. The Broadway show was Aladdin. 


I have seen off-Broadway shows in many cities including Cleveland, Boston, Pittsburgh, and even in my hometown on the stage of our local university. Nothing compares to the Broadway experience. Here is why you should see a show on Broadway at least once in your life.

1. The breathtaking costumes.


2. The spectacular and mind-blowing sets.


3. The amazing special effects 


4. The architectural beauty of the theaters. 


5. The orchestra
They orchestra is hidden beneath the stage

6. The sippy-cups of wine...of course.

If you ever have the opportunity to go the NYC make the most of it and see a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment