Thursday, February 1, 2018

A Review: Alice Hoffman’s The Marriage of Opposites

By: Elizabeth Redhead Kriston



I am embarrassed to admit that I have never heard of Alice Hoffman. I happened upon one of her many novels on the shelves of Ollies, a discount store. The cover intrigued me almost as much as the price, $3.99. I scanned the back cover and the reviews convinced me I should add it to my growing collection of novels I want to read.

I grabbed it from my bookshelf the weekend my mom was meant to have major surgery. Falsely thinking I would have the both the time and the ability to concentrate on reading, the book lay nearly forgotten on my mom’s dining room table as I traveled between her home and the hospital where she recovered.

My aunt, who was in town caring for my mom, spied the book sitting unopened on the table and started reading.  Every time I saw her, her nose was in that book. I told her to keep it until she was finished. Once she was done, I opened the gently used book and immersed myself into the life of Rachel Pomie Petit Pizzarro.

This beautifully written work of historical fiction kept me turning the pages as I learned about this woman’s life journey. The story is told from the perspective of several of the characters over the course of six decades from 1806 to 1865. More than a history lesson, this is a story, both true and imagined, that immerses the reader, with intricate detail, into a family saga that his part love story, part ghost story, part mysticism, part tragedy, and part art history lesson.

Self Portrait: Camille Pisarro

Ms. Hoffman uses her expert use of language to create images as masterful as the ones painted by Rachel’s son, real life shaper of impressionism, Camille Pissarro

Children on a Farm by Camille Pissaro

Within the pages of this novel, I learned about the plight of the Jew in the early 19th century, the way of life on the tropical island of St Thomas, the place of women, slaves and natives in relation to the European white men who inhabited the island, and the landscapes of Paris.

Each character that Hoffman introduces the reader to is rich, complex, and interesting. It is hard to accept that many were fictional. Realizing they never existed is heartbreaking.

I can’t help but feel like a better person after reading this literary gem, which is the reason I adore historical fiction. This genre offers the reader a step into a fantasy world that provides an escape from reality while enriching her knowledge of the world and history providing her with a deeper understanding about the plight of others. This understanding will hopefully lead to tolerance and even empathy. We could all do with more of those, especially in today’s social and political climate.

Have no doubt, I will be running to the book store in search of another of Alice Hoffman’s 30 works of fiction. My love affair with her writing has just begun. I am excited to see how our saga unfolds.

For a more in-depth description of the story behind The Marriage of Opposites visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment