Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Seven Ways to Enjoy the Cold

By: Elizabeth Redhead Kriston


Winters are cold where I live. That is just a fact of life. I was raised in Ohio and currently reside in Western Pennsylvania. Aside from a brief stint in California, where it was often foggy and cool, I grew up with four distinct seasons. My favorite time of year, hands down, is the fall. I love the brilliant blue skies, the warm dry air, and the beautiful colors. Plus, all the fall festivals and pumpkin flavored things make it extra special.

The trade-off for having perfect autumn weather is surviving the oppressively hot summers, the soggy springs, and the bitter cold winters. This winter has been especially brutal. Perhaps the last two mild ones make this winter more unbearable for many. The arctic air, snow, and ice have made it challenging for many.

Though I love having all four seasons, it becomes a bit tiresome listening to the bellyaching of friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers who inevitably complain that it’s too hot or it’s too cold. Ok, I admit, I do that too, but I am not annoying, so….

Seriously, I have made a conscious effort to shut-up and just go with it. That has been my new way of thinking for most things in my life. It is so freeing to just accept things that I can not change and figure out the best way to cope with them.

For those of you who just can’t seem to enjoy the chill of winter, I have a few suggestions that might help you survive the next few months of cold and snow.

The Seven Ways to Enjoy the Cold


  1. Dress for the weather: If you are wearing flip flops and shorts while standing in the snow on the corner as you await the school bus, you are under dressed. If you shiver as you walk three blocks from your parking spot to the restaurant because you chose to wear a thin coat, no hat, and no gloves, you are under dressed for the weather. Meanwhile, I am wearing a knitted and lined hat with ear flaps and cozy mittens. Two pairs of Merino wool socks cover my feet that are slipped into fur lined boots guaranteed to keep my tootsies warm in -25-degree temps. Being warm allows me to enjoy my time outdoors rather than curse that my hands and toes are froze.
  2. Get out and move: Less sunny days than the Pacific Northwest means that I lack vitamin D year round. Unfortunately, most of our sun soaked days come in the fridged days of winter. The insulating clouds float away and the bright sun blazes in the 8 degree weather. The blinding sun reflects off of the white snow forcing eyes to be shaded with sunglasses. This adds to my vitamin D deficiency and increases a lethargic state. The best way to shake off the winter doldrums and get some vitamin D is to get out in the sunshine sans sunglasses (at least for ten minutes so eyes can absorb the suns nutrients). Dress warmly and go for a walk, ski, sled, snowshoe, dog sled, etc.. Many sport shops rent the equipment so, no excuses. Except for the dog sledding thing. That might be a bit tricky. Moving your body will warm you up and cheer you up. Dress in layers for when you get too warm.
  3. Eat Healthy: Eating healthy was something I learned to do over time. I have embraced vegetables and healthy grains into my diet. I try to eat 8 fruits and veggies a day, drink lemon and coconut water, eat more protein than carbs, and I avoid processed foods as much as possible. I know that those fatty comfort foods call out to us in cold weather. Eventually, when you eat healthy you crave healthy foods. I don't turn down a french fry but I rather have carrot sticks and hummus. I never regret the carrot but can;t say the same thing about the fries.
  4. Get cozy: By the end of summer I am ready to put on my soft sweats and slippers and snuggle near a fire place. Donning my favorite blanket and slippers, I sip hot tea or wine and read a good book. I love spending Saturday in PJ’s watching movies (actually flipping through Netflix for 3 hours trying to find a movie and then watching reruns of Friends) with my girls (who seethe as I force them to sit with me) and eating popcorn. In the kitchen, my hubby prepares some sort of comfort food whose aroma fills the house making our mouths water until we get to dive into his French stew or roast duck dinner (OK I don't always eat healthy).
  5. Get organized: When feeling the winter blues nothing perks me up or makes me happier than organizing the junk drawer or weeding out the clothes and shoes in my closet. I am getting excited just thinking about it.
  6. Sleep more: Its dark all the time in the winter. Perfect for midday napping and sleeping in on your off days.
    This family is still playing the same game decades later
  7. Dust off those board games and puzzles: Being trapped indoors on those below freezing days can be spent interacting with your family. You might actually be able to finish a game of Monopoly. I am still waiting for the day I figure out how that game ends.
So many wonderful things can be accomplished in the winter. Stop focusing on the cold and find your joy in winter. It’s here for too many days and nights to just wish it away. Winter is part of life, accept it and enjoy it. If you just can’t do that, there are places you can go that are warm year-round. It might be worth the change. Life is too short to be miserable four months out of every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment